- Aldrich Middle School
BMHS Jazz Orchestra Entertains at Frist Fridays in the Park
Sunny weather and cool jazz greeted those who turned out for the season’s first Fridays in the Park.
A large lunch-time crowd turned out at the corner of State Street and Grand Avenue to hear the Beloit Memorial High School Jazz Band, fresh from their performance at the Essentially Ellington competition in New York.
Adding to the experience was food served by the staff of 5BAR, who were offering lunch for just $8.
“I have been able to get down here once or twice,” he said, noting he works in the downtown area. He added it was a beautiful day to spend outdoors at lunchtime.
Shawna El-Amin, executive director of the Downtown Beloit Association, was serving cans of soda at the end of the lunch line.
“We couldn’t ask for better weather,” she said. “But, we never cancel if there is inclement weather. We just move everything indoors at the Downtown Beloit Association office.”
Fridays in the Park is held from 11:30 a.m. — 1:30 p.m. each Friday during the summer months at the corner of State Street and Grand Avenue in downtown Beloit. A musical act is featured each week and a local restaurant or food vendor provides the food each week.
In the upcoming weeks, Fridays in the Park will feature the following musical acts and food vendors:
- June 2 — Back2Back Acoustic. Food by Perfectly Seasoned.
- June 9 — Eclectic Red. Food by CheezHead Brewing.
- June 16 — Fred & Ginger. Food by truk’d.
- June 30 — Jestin Jay Trio. Bring your own lunch.
- July 7 — Stateline Playboys. Food by Merrill & Houston’s Steak Joint.
- July 14 — Soft Shoe Shufflers. Food by Ironworks Golf Lab.
- July 21 — Bluegrass Reunion. Food by Lucy’s No. 7 Burger Bar.
- July 28 — Back2Back Acoustic. Food by Beloit Sky Carp.
- Aug. 4 — Frank & Co. Band. Food by 5BAR
- Aug. 11 — Eclectic Red. Food by Bon Appetit.
- Aug. 18 — Timeless Trio. Food by Beloit Sky Carp.
- Aug. 25 — Fred & Ginger. Food by Project 16:49.
- Sept. 1 — Stateline Playboys. Bring your own lunch.
- Sept. 8 — Jestin Jay Trio. Food by Coco’s Tamales.
- Sept. 15 — Gary the Band. Food by Downtown Women Owned Businesses.
- Sept. 22 — Frank & Co. Band. Food by Velvet Buffalo.