Physical Education and Health EducationBeloit Memorial High SchoolWelcome to our Physical Education and Health Education Homepage! We are happy you have visited and encourage you to explore our successes, assessments and policies, and upcoming events. In addition, you can meet our staff, view photos, and discover how our students are learning about and experiencing lifelong health and wellness.
Beloit Memorial's New Fitness Center
Beloit Memorial's new Fitness Center opened up this summer! Cardio and Strength equipment purchased through the department's Carol M. White Physical Education Program (PEP) Grant and 4 new squat platforms with the help of community members and sponsors were moved into the area that was formerly the old pool. Remodeling of this area also included new flooring, sprint lanes, storage rooms, and locker rooms. All students will use this area to learn about heart rate, proper lift forms, and general wellness. Athletes and community members are also common visitors to this area.
Carol M. White Physical Education Program (PEP) Grant
Through the work of Physical Education teachers, Shawn Fredricks and Kim Gamble (Gilbank), the School District of Beloit Physical Education Department was awarded the Carol M. White Physical Education Program (PEP) Grant in 2010. Federal funding of close to $1 million has allowed Beloit to develop and maintain a strong Physical Education and Health Education program, allowing for many equipment purchases and professional development opportunities that ensure our students experience wellness education to maintain healthy lifestyles in high school and beyond.
Here are just a few of the successes that have come from our grant:
- Cardio and Strength Room Equipment and Renovations - now housed in the new Fitness Center
- A class set of bicycles and helmets
- Standing Paddle Board, Canoes, and Personal Floatation Devices for Outdoor Adventure students
- Equipment for innovative games, such as Sabaki Ball and Tchoukball
- Adaptive Physical Education Equipment for students with special needs
- Training/Professional Development for staff at the local, state, and national levels
- Addition of Lacrosse and Frisbee Golf to the Physical Education curriculum and purchase of necessary equipment
We are excited to continue and sustain the goals, lessons, and new experiences provided through this grant!