|• Living in a shelter
• Living in a motel, hotel or campground due to lack of
• Sharing housing with relatives of others due to a
lack of housing
• Living at a train or bus station, a park, or in a car
• Living in an abandoned building
• A youth not living with a parent or guardian
• A child awaiting foster care placement
• A child of a migrant worker
• In other situations that are not fixed, regular,
or adequate for night time residence
• Immediate school enrollment: even if they lack proof of
residency, guardianship, immunizations, or school records.
• School Choice: Students may choose to stay at the school
attended when permanently housed or to enroll in the
school where currently living for the remainder of the
• Free Lunches: McKinney-Vento students are automatically
eligible to receive free lunch for the duration of the school year.
• School fee waivers: Students have the right to equal access to
• Transportation: While students are in unstable housing,
transportation is provided for students residing outside
of their school’s attendance area.